The Shofar Award of the National Jewish Committee on Scouting
The National Jewish Committee on Scouting established the Shofar Award to recognize outstanding service by adults in the promotion of Scouting among Jewish youth. Just as the Shofar (Ram’s Horn) calls people to the service of God, so the Shofar Award is a recognition of the individual who has answered the call to serve Jewish youth in Scouting. Self and spouse nominations will not be accepted.
A Shofar recipient should:
- Promote the use of Scouting in synagogues, Jewish Community Centers, and other Jewish institutions.
- Encourage Jewish youth to join the Boy Scouts of America as Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Explorers.
- Recruit Jewish leaders on unit, district, and council levels.
- Encourage and assist Scouts in earning the Maccabee, Aleph, and Ner Tamid emblems.
- Promote religious observance on camping trips and at camporees, summer camp, Scout Sabbath, and other functions.
- Exemplify religious convictions by personal participation in the ideals of Jewish Life.
1. Nominations may be made by Scouting volunteers or professionals.
2. Letter of Recommendation: The nominator must submit a letter of recommendation detailing the nominee’s qualifications, which must be included with the application.
3. Completed Application: The nominator must submit the application form to the local BSA Council’s Jewish Committee on Scouting for approval.
4. Required Signatures: The nominator must submit the application form to the local BSA Council for approval (the Scout Executive’s signature is required).
5. Payment Information: Payment for the award package plus shipping/handling should be made payable to P.R.A.Y., 11123 S. Towne Sq. Ste B, St. Louis, MO 63123. (Payment by check, money order, MasterCard, Visa or Discover is accepted.) As a partner with other faiths in the promotion of religious emblems, the P.R.A.Y. office also serves as the Shofar Award partner for the National Jewish Committee on Scouting. For questions about purchasing replacement awards, you may reach P.R.A.Y. by calling 1-800-933-7729 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the Shofar nomination form.