Do you know of Jewish Scouts who might want to participate in a Philmont Trek? The National Jewish Committee on Scouting is sponsoring 3 Crews at Philmont next summer! For details, please read the information below. Please make sure our Jewish Scouts know about this fantastic opportunity to participate in a Shabbat observant and kosher Philmont experience, all with rabbinical participation and supervision. Scouts (and Scouters) that participated in prior JCOS Philmont Treks had a fantastic experience.
Contact National Jewish Committee on Scouting, Philmont Trek Coordinators
Dr. Robert Weber, firstname.lastname@example.org, 646-425-6006
Evan Gilder, email@example.com, 914-946-4744
What is a Philmont Trek?
It is the ultimate Scouting High Adventure!
Backpack through New Mexico’s glorious Rocky Mountains. Participate in crew selected activities — panning for gold, archeology, blacksmithing, burro racing, muzzle‐loading rifle shooting and more.
Why a Jewish Trek?
What better place can there be to ask the BIG questions?
If this is “God’s country,” how does my Judaism fit in? When seeing a million stars before my eyes, how does that link me to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as they shepherded their flocks? When my friends and I observe Shabbat on the trail, how do I feel about my relationship with Judaism?
What is a Jewish trek?
Our treks include Shabbat observance, kosher food, daily prayer and on‐going Jewish learning.
As part of this unique experience, participants will grow physically, mentally and emotionally and most importantly, participants will experience a deeper insight into what it means to be a Jewish Scout, all with rabbinical participation and supervision.
- Thursday, June 27 through Wednesday, July 10, 2024; Depart Philmont on Thursday, July 11
- Travel Arrangements will be coordinated by Crews.
- A maximum of 3 (12 person) crews
- Youth Age – 14‐20 (or 13 and have completed 8th grade) Scout Rank – First Class or higher
- Up to 12 Adults over 21 years of Age
NJCOS Crew atop Baldy Mountain
Where is Philmont
- Philmont Scout Ranch Headquarters is 220 square miles in size, located four miles south of Cimarron, New Mexico.
- Check out this video:
Budget: Estimated Trip Cost: $3,200
- This covers Philmont Trek Fee, Meals, Flights, Ground Transportation, Lodging, Crew Shirts and Patches
- Reservation Fee: $100 due December 1, 2023
- Initial Payment: $1,600 due February 1, 2024
- Final Payment: May 1, 2024
- It includes estimated cost of flights
- It does not include gear necessary for the trek
Registration Information Form
For More Information and Registration, click here
What to expect for trek participation:
A traditional Philmont backpacking trek is 12 days in duration. Shabbat will be a day of rest and there will be no trekking. The trek duration will be 60‐100 miles and will include 3 hours of conservation work necessary to earn the Philmont Arrowhead Patch.
Trek preparation will involve extensive commitment to physical conditioning and training as well attendance at regular meetings
After pre‐registering , we will send additional information to include:
Transportation Plans, Physical Conditioning, Equipment, Medical Forms, and more!
National Jewish Committee on Scouting, Philmont Trek Coordinator
Dr. Robert Weber, firstname.lastname@example.org (646) 425-6006