The Shofar Award of the National Jewish Committee on Scouting
The National Jewish Committee on Scouting established the Shofar Award to recognize outstanding service by adults in the promotion of Scouting among Jewish youth. Self and spousal nominations will not be accepted.
A Shofar recipient should:
- Promote the use of Scouting in synagogues, Jewish Community Centers, and other Jewish institutions
- Encourage Jewish youth to join the Boy Scouts of America as Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Explorers
- Recruit Jewish leaders on unit, district, and council levels
- Encourage and assist Scouts in earning their Jewish emblems
- Promote religious observance on camping trips and at camporees, summer camp, Scout Sabbath, and other functions
- Exemplify religious convictions by personal participation in Jewish life
- Letter of Recommendation: The nominator (a Scouting volunteer or professional) must include a letter of recommendation detailing the nominee’s qualifications with the application
- Completed Application: The nominator must download and submit the application form to the local BSA Council’s Jewish Committee on Scouting for approval
- Required Signatures: The local BSA Council Scout Executive must also sign the application form
Please send payment along with the application.
As a partner with other faiths in the promotion of religious emblems, the P.R.A.Y. office also serves as the Shofar Award partner for the National Jewish Committee on Scouting. For questions about purchasing replacement awards, you may reach P.R.A.Y. by calling 1-800-933-7729 or via email at email@example.com.
Go to Top
Frank L. Weil Award for Jewish Scouting Units
The Frank L. Weil Award for Jewish Scouting units recognizes the quality of the program the unit provides its youth. Named in honor of a former important early chairman, the award is available through the NJCOS and administered through the region chair. It consists of:
- A certificate for the chartered organization
- A colored ribbon for the unit
- A multicolored, embroidered patch for each registered member (youths and adults)
Mortimer Schiff Award (for Jewish Committees)
The National Jewish Committee on Scouting presents The Mortimer Schiff Award to recognize the most active and effective Jewish Committees on Scouting. It is named for a founding member of the Boy Scouts of America and one of the first national presidents of the BSA. The region chair for the NJCOS administers this award.
Recipients of the Schiff Award receive a “Scouting Serves the Jewish Community” plaque for the committee and pins for each committee member.